Thursday, January 6, 2011

And seem a saint when most I play the devil…

—or “the Religious Wrong”


I almost had an accident on my way to work this morning. I had to go get blood work done, so I was driving a route that I don’t normally take. And I passed by a local church that leans toward the fundamentalist side of things…


Now, it isn’t a “talking in tongues, here comes the rapture” kind of church to my knowledge, but they’re Jerry Falwellesque in philosophy. And I’m not being critical here, I’m just trying to set the scene.


 
So, anywho…

As I drive past this establishment, I notice the sign out front:



“The bible that Jesus read.”



Um,… uh,… what?



Now, I freely admit that I have not darkened the door of any church in close to 20 years. Life circumstances and all that. I was raised Catholic and attended a Baptist church for a bit, but I have become disillusioned by formal religion. Their attitudes towards gays and the like doesn’t jive with the whole “all-loving God” thing. All this is to show that I know a little bit about religions….



So, anywho…



Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the Bible written well after Jesus’ death?

2 comments:

  1. I think the Old Testament was around since 1400 BC (give or take a few years) Here's a link I found: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_was_the_Old_Testament_written

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh, I think that was called the Torah.

    ReplyDelete